In my nested lab of ESXi 6.0 on vmware workstation, the host was prepared using 4 NIC, the setup was a breeze as usual and no issues.
I needed few more NIC, and added them as usual.
Once the host is up, I check in vSphere web client, and unfortunately the NICs did not get detected. ( That’s what I thought 1st)
Upon check the KB1034782 I checked if host really did detected them or not by using lspci -v | grep -A1 -i ethernet
So, the output shows the New NICs were showing as AMD instead of Intel
I went ahead and to check what esxcfg-nics –l will show up.
What caught my eyes was the “Driver” Column showing value of e1000 for NICs what are detected.
Immediately I thought of checking .vmx file. What I found was an entry
ethernet1.virtualDev = “e1000”
This entry was available for detected NICs and un-detected NICs did not have it.
I added the entries for each NIC and rebooted the host.
Upon checking again, the NICs were detected